Thursday, September 15, 2005

New local source for newsy snark

Via a tip from Tulin of PoliticsPhilly I discovered the new local blog "Philadelphia Will Do," which has made me entirely reconsider my approach to regional blogging. I sucked down more than a week almost the complete archive of posts, which poke irreverent fun at much local news and opinion, and even moreso at the way that the media covers both. [Shades of The Daily Show here.] Worth a regular visit.

Update: (1) The above is a Phila Weekly blog, in case you didn't know that, and (2) its author has been a journlist in the region for a while. This led to some chat (that I totally missed this summer) about whether news organizations understand blogs, whether journalists can be good bloggers, blah blah. Um, I think this guy gets it. What he's doing is good, in a way that Attytood and Blinq don't come close to -- it's not just collecting links, it's a sharp analytical eye combined with well-written snark that is a cynical delight. My two cents.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

From what I understand, he was a blogger (under the Philadelphia Will Do name) before he went to work for Philadelphia Weekly. I may be wrong though.

1:19 PM  
Blogger ACM said...

Yeah, the very first post to the new blog indicates as much. That makes sense of the "gets it" part, but sort of makes me wonder why there was so much blah-blah to begin with!

:)

1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll leave Blinq out of it, and just defend Will Bunch: The boy gets it. All of it.

Dan Rubin
Blinq

3:04 PM  
Blogger ACM said...

anon -- didn't mean to slam Attytood, which I also like and visit regularly. Will Bunch does get it, and writes some very pointed posts on important issues. however, there are other times when there's more of a feel there of obligatory local news round-up (not to the Blinq degree, but along the same vector, perhaps) that reminds you that he has a professional affiliation to an extent that Will Do has yet to give me.

is all. as you were. ;)

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, just you wait.

I'll be selling out any day now.

8:43 PM  
Blogger ACM said...

Actually, I realize(d) in retrospect that the main difference is not only voice (which will always vary) but focus -- Attytood and Blinq both spend lots of their ink on national issues, while WillDo seems to be staying local. I already have lots of sources that will point out big NYTimes articles I might have missed, but only Dan is reading the Daily Pennsylvanian to catch their ridiculous moments...

12:50 PM  
Blogger ACM said...

oh, and....

of course, will be waiting for the Sell-Out shoe to drop any time now. probably a big endorsement of one of the perrennial cheese-steak frontrunners.

;)

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home