Friday, April 22, 2005

Strange days indeed

I'd sure love to know what's behind this: Santorum has introduced legislation that would prohibit the National Weather Service from providing weather forecasts for free online. That's right, your taxpayer-financed information would be embargoed, I guess so that private companies like AccuWeather could charge you for the same service. Except, of course, for hurricanes -- then the web site would rise like a phoenix to serve the public good. Crazy.

(via Atrios)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"It is not an easy prospect for a business to attract advertisers, subscribers or investors when the government is providing similar products and services for free," Santorum said.

Hey, Rick! I'd like to build my own for-profit road down the middle of the country. Can you please shut down that interstate highway thingy? It's a real obstacle to my whole business plan.

7:54 PM  
Blogger ACM said...

:)))

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home